It can be hard to find healthy and convenient snacks when you’re out and about. There are a lot of ‘health food’ bars on the market, but they’re often not as healthy as they are pretending to be and overpriced for what they are.
$4 for a high-sugar bar of dried fruit and nuts squashed together seems excessive. My solution is to make my own bars like these raw Date, Coconut & Ginger Bars. If I know I’m going to be running around and need a snack, I’ll take one with me.
I developed the recipe for Natural Delights using their fresh Medjool dates to sweeten the bars. Their dates have a beautiful, caramel sweetness so you don’t have to use many. I only use one per bar and include healthy fats from cashew nuts and coconut, which also provide natural sweetness.
Raw Date, Coconut & Ginger Bars
Serves: 4 bars
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 0 mins
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 x Natural Delights Medjool Dates, chopped
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, softened
- Process the cashew nuts and desiccated coconut in a food processor until you get fine crumbs. Tip into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well until combined, using your hands to press the mixture into a dough if required.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Shape the mixture into bars with your hands and leave in the fridge to firm up.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
I use an Australian 20ml tablespoon. 1 x 20ml tablespoon = 4 teaspoons.