This creamy berry smoothie is easy to make and a great option if you want something super satisfying and lower in sugar. I’ve kept the recipe high in protein and good fats with a hit of antioxidant-rich berry goodness.
I developed the recipe for Bare Blends using their Vanilla Bean whey protein concentrate (WPC) and Bare Berries freeze-dried berry powder. WPC gives a beautiful creaminess when used in smoothies. It’s similar to a whey protein isolate (WPI) but is slightly higher in lactose and fats. WPC contains less protein gram for gram than WPI, but the protein is still rapidly absorbed by the body. High quality WPCs (such as the Bare Blends ones) also contain additional compounds that are not found in the WPIs. For example, WPCs usually contain higher levels of immune-boosting immunoglobulins.
I like to top the smoothie off with some raw cacao nibs for crunch and an extra sprinkling of Bare Berries powder. It should come out thick and creamy when blended in a high speed blender with just enough water to bring everything together. You could also serve it in a bowl, topped with granola, coconut flakes and some fresh berries.
Creamy Berry Smoothie
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 0 mins
- 1 cup ice
- 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder (I used Bare Blends Vanilla Bean WPC)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Handful of raw cashew nuts
- 2 teaspoons freeze-dried berry powder (or a handful of frozen berries)
- Water to blend
- Raw cacao nibs and extra berry powder (or berries) to serve
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Blend adding just enough water to get a thick smoothie consistency.
- Pour into a glass and top with raw cacao nibs and extra berry powder to serve. Enjoy straight away.
If you don’t have any berry powder, you could use a handful of frozen berries instead.