These Raw Medjool Date Chocolate Mousse Pots are a perfect after-dinner treat on warm nights. They’re super easy to make. Just some initial soaking, then blending and you’re done.
I developed the recipe for Natural Delights® using their fresh Medjool dates as the sweetener. They provide a delicious hint of caramel flavour and some added fibre. A lot of raw mousses are made with avocado or frozen banana, but this one gets its mousse-like texture from soaked cashew nuts. The addition of coconut oil helps it set and firm up as it gets cold.
If you’re having people over for dinner, you can make them in advance and stash them in the fridge until ready to eat. Feel free to get creative with the toppings. You could also turn it into a choc-chip mousse by stirring through some chocolate chips for a decadent twist.
Raw Medjool Date Chocolate Mousse Pots
Prep time: 5 mins (+ soaking 4 hours or overnight)
Cook time: 60 mins
For the mousse:
- 8 x Natural Delights® Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
For the topping:
- Whipped coconut cream or coconut yogurt (or natural yoghurt)
- 2 x Natural Delights® Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Extra raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder) for dusting
- To make the mousse, place the pitted Medjool dates and cashew nuts in a bowl, cover with water and leave in the fridge to soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the Medjool dates and cashew nuts, discarding the soaking water, then place them in a high-speed blender or food processor with the remaining mousse ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Spoon the mousse into serving glasses, cover and leave in fridge for about an hour to firm up.
- To serve, top with a dollop of whipped coconut cream or yoghurt, the extra chopped Medjool dates and a dusting of cacao powder.
You might also like my Dark Chocolate & Walnut Fudge.