Now that the weather is starting to heat up, I often feel like a refreshingly cold breakfast bowl in the mornings. Lots of smoothie bowl recipes use a lot of fruit so the sugar content is pretty high, but this one is different.
I try to only have high-sugar breakfasts every now and then as a treat because I find that they leave me craving more sugar for the rest of the day. On a typical day, I like to include plenty of protein and good fats at breakfast time to fuel my morning, so I developed this green breakfast bowl with that in mind.
I developed the recipe for Natural Delights using their fresh Medjool dates as the sweetener. The smoothie is made with a clean protein powder, good fats from raw cashew nuts and coconut, plenty of green goodness from raw baby spinach and is sweetened with just two dates. The dates also provide some fibre as an added benefit.
I find that you can pack a lot of spinach into the smoothie and it doesn’t taste overpowering due to the other ingredients. So I encourage you to be generous with it!
Easy Green Breakfast Bowl
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 0 mins
- 1 cup ice
- Large handful of baby spinach
- Handful of raw cashew nuts
- 2 x Natural Delights Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder (I used Bare Blends Vanilla Bean WPI)
- Water to blend
- Handful of granola and/or coconut flakes to serve
- Place all ingredients except for the granola and coconut flakes in a high speed blender.
- Blend adding just enough water to get a thick smoothie consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the granola and/or coconut flakes.
- Enjoy straight away.