This easy Cookie Dough Oatmeal is dairy-free and gets a protein boost from an added egg white. It’s studded with chunks of melting dark chocolate and topped with whipped coconut cream.
I came up with the simple recipe when I had an egg white and some refrigerated coconut cream that needed to be used.
The oats are cooked with and egg white, oat milk, vanilla and a pinch of salt. For a cookie-dough vibe, I add chunks of dark chocolate, which gently melt into the warm oats.
Then I top it all off with some cold, whipped coconut cream. The contrast between the warm oats, melting chocolate and cold cream is super delicious.
For me, the oatmeal is perfect when cooked to a thick, doughy consistency. But you can easily add more milk if you prefer a creamier texture.
Ingredients for Cookie Dough Oatmeal
Rolled oats: Old fashioned rolled oats are my favourite here. You could use quick oats if that’s all you have.
Oat milk: I use unsweetened oat milk, but you can use any milk you like. Water also works if you’re stuck without milk.
Egg white: Cooking an egg white into the oats adds some extra protein without altering the taste. It also helps to give the cooked oats a cookie dough-like texture. If you don’t have an egg white on hand you can leave it out.
Vanilla extract: This adds a subtle sweetness to the oats and helps to create a cookie dough vibe.
Sea salt: A pinch of sea salt enhances the flavours in the oats. You can leave it out if you prefer.
Dark chocolate: I like to use 70% cocoa chocolate in this recipe, but you can use your favourite chocolate or chocolate chips. To reduce the sugar content, you could use a darker (e.g. 85% or 90%) chocolate. Just keep in mind that the oats aren’t sweetened so the chocolate is meant to provide some sweetness.
Refrigerated coconut cream: Store your can of coconut cream in the fridge and scoop out the thick portion that rises to the top. We whip this to serve with the oats. If you have any leftover coconut cream, it also makes a delicious topping for my Pumpkin Pancakes.
Cookie Dough Oatmeal
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
- 1/2 cup (45g) rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (60ml/60g) oat milk
- 1 free-range egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 25g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons (40ml) thick portion refrigerated coconut cream
- Place the oats, oat milk, egg white, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir everything together, and keep stirring over the low heat until the egg white is cooked and the oats have thickened. I like the oats doughy, but add extra oat milk and keep stirring if you prefer a creamier texture.
- Spoon the oats onto a plate or bowl and sprinkle over the chopped chocolate. It should start to melt into the warm oats.
- Beat the coconut cream in a small bowl until smooth. Dollop it over the warm oats. Enjoy straight away!
I don’t sweeten the oats as I find the chocolate and coconut cream add enough sweetness. But if you like things sweeter, you can add some rice malt syrup, maple syrup or your preferred sweetener to the oat mixture while cooking it on the stove.
Serving size: 1 serve, using 70% cocoa dark chocolate
Energy: 1980kJ (473Cal)
Total Fat: 26.3g
Saturated Fat: 17.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 40.5g
Dietary Fibre: 5.5g
* Nutrition information is an estimate only. It may vary depending on the brand of ingredients used.