Some mornings I just don’t have: (i) time to cook myself breakfast; or (ii) the patience to cook myself breakfast. Instead of skipping breakfast and ending up hangry (hungry/angry) by midday, I like to be able to just grab something like these Grain Free Zucchini Muffins from the fridge and be on my way.
They’re so easy to make; I just throw them together on Sunday night so they’re ready for the week ahead. The muffins are grain-free, gluten-free and also nut-free (for anyone with allergies). I add some grated sharp cheddar cheese to the mixture to give the muffins a beautiful savoury flavour, but if you don’t eat dairy, you could just leave it out and perhaps add a couple of spoonfuls of tahini instead.
If you prefer muffins with a more traditional muffin-like texture, you might like to try my Buckwheat Zucchini Muffins (which use buckwheat flour, so they are still gluten-free).
Grain Free Zucchini Muffins
Serves: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
- 4 medium zucchini (about 500g)
- 150g sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon chia seeds
- Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with muffin cases or squares of baking paper.
- Grate the zucchini and cheese into a large mixing bowl. Add the chia seeds, parsley, coconut flour, a good pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper and mix everything to combine. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and crack the eggs into the well. Lightly beat the eggs with a spoon and then pour in the olive oil. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until the muffins are browned and the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- I store the muffins in an airtight container in the fridge (and reheat them briefly in the oven or the microwave when needed).